August 19, 2007

Handmade Electric Guitar

Just finished building and setting up this electric guitar. The body is a solid block of Indian Teak which was once part of a DIY boat project that was abandoned in the 60's, the wood had been sitting in a shed in Ireland until my dad rescued it and I then took it to my workshop in France. We found the sheet of aluminum that is the rear cover outside our flat late one night on the way home from the brasserie. The neck was an Ebay find, all the other little bit and pieces were scavenged from here and there.

The really interesting thing about this project is that I made the pickups from scratch. The bobbins were hand carved from the same wood as the body and wound with the same type of wire originally used by Fender. Each of the two scatter wound single coil pickups have six high quality AlNiCo magnets in them and the wire was wound to 5.5k on the bridge pickup and 6.7k on the neck pickup resulting in a very warm and powerful vintage sound that distorts extremely cleanly.

I really enjoyed making this instrument and will be very sad to see it go.



You can see a slide show of the instrument at various stages of construction if you follow this link.


This instrument is going up for sale tomorrow evening (my time France) on Ebay, if anyone is interested in buying it before then, contact me.

-J

No comments: